Monday, November 3, 2008

Amy Winehouse walks into a Walgreens...

And nothing happened. Seriously. Apparently, either I look like I should be that tore up, or people are fazed by nothing.

Backstory- dressed as dear old Amy for work(It's like I get to do a Winehouse Watch on myself!), I forgot to bring any sort of makeup remover, and believe it or not, I looked even more bizarre without the wig. So I drove home as Amy Winehouse, and stopped in at Walgreen's (yes, I am a little exhibitionist, I suppose). No one in the store batted an eye! I didn't even get a "funny costume" remark. Whatever, people. I do my best to entertain, and I get nothing. Though I did make a little girl cry in the parking lot. Mostly because I stole her candy though, not the outfit. Just kidding. I didn't steal ALL of her candy. Just the Reese's. Because I'm an Amy that likes to eat. Me, below. Damn, my desk is a mess.


Onto the REAL Winehouse Watch- Last week we reported that Amy was in for a "chest infection". She got released on Friday, but then checked back in again today. Sources say it was because she wanted to make sure there were no complications due to the chest infection. I say it's because she tried to smoke her own hair.

Netflix Round-up: Snow Angels, Sweet Bird of Youth, Little Fish. Little Fish, while not being the best movie I've ever seen (no visible plot arc), has me convinced that Cate Blanchett could read a recipe to make cold cereal and make it interesting.

Snow Angels, on the other hand, was beautiful and tragic. Set in a bleak, gray winter landscape, the film follows Annie (Kate Beckinsale) and her attempt to move on after separating from her emotionally disturbed husband Glenn (Sam Rockwell, whom I love more with every film). Bleak cinematogrophy, bleak characters. The movie is like watching two trains heading for a wreck, but you can't warn them any more than you can look away. One warm, sweet spot in this emotional wasteland is the relationship between two teenagers, Arthur, a former babysitting ward of Annie, and Lila, the new girl in town. While there is drama and pain surrounding them at every turn, it is so sweet to watch their uncomplicated, young love unfold.

Sweet Bird of Youth made me grateful Paul Newman existed. Paul Newman and his raw, steamy, sexuality and tortured character, which works so well for anything written by Tennessee Williams. What I love most about Tennessee Williams is his exploration of the ugliness in beautiful people, and Sweet Bird of Youth is a prime example. Newman, a man raised on the wrong side of the tracks-turned gigolo returns home with a fading Hollywood star, and tries to revive his relationship with his former love, the daughter of Louisiana's biggest power broker, Boss Finley. As with any Tennessee Williams play, sex, tragedy and mint juleps ensue. The movie was subjected to early 1960's censors, which unfortunately removed storylines of veneral disease, hystorectomy and castration that are present in the original broadway play. Sounds like a hell of a night at the theater.

No comments: