Monday, November 10, 2008

Ice-a-bowl-a-nuptu-a-rama!


I find it an odd phenomenon that Americans like to spend our leisure time in rented shoes. This weekend was like the Fungal Marathon for me- both bowling AND ice skating, IN THE SAME DAY. If I don't contract Athlete's Foot after this weekend, it'll be a miracle. Maybe I should invest in a vat of Tough-Actin' Tinactin, just to be sure.
After returning to the sport after a twenty year absence, I am pretty damn impressed with my ice skating skills. Though Sis-in-law is savoring the chance to point out that my ice skating resembles a granny with a walker more than Michelle Kwan, I am proud of my accomplishments. I only fell once, and managed to stop holding onto the wall after 40 minutes. Of course, the one time I did fall I nearly killed my three year old niece... but she stopped crying after a while.

I also attended Adam's wedding, excited to finally see the inside of Michelle's Ballroom, which has captured my interest every time I pass by and see unhappy 15 year olds stuffed into taffeta sneaking a cigarette outside at the celebration of their little sister's first communion. It's actually a nice place, neo-classic columns and bas-reliefs (oh yeah, I used it), with the inexplicable addition of an Aztec sun on the main wall. Nothing says party like the Greco-Mayan style.

It was a beautiful reception- Adam and Joanna looked in love and happy and were great hosts. Everyone was so relaxed. The food was delicious...I am frankly amazed at how many ways a potato can be prepared- gnocchi, latkes, potato salad, pierogi, mashed. Ever the carb-whore, I ate it all with gusto. There were speeches...the theme of each seemingly "Birv, you will die alone". There's a slight possibility, however, that the vodka-cranberries I was mainlining have altered my memory of the night slightly. I can't comment on the accuracy of my later memories of the evening. I also have to figure out a way to get back to my car.

It's a beautiful thing to watch two people that genuinely love each other and have each other's best interests at heart get married. Adam, Joanna, I have nothing but love and happiness for both of you, and I was honored to be a part of your day. I hope you're having fun on your mini-moon!

No comments: