Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Oscar-worthy You Are NOT.


I usually regard winter as the "Classy Movie" season, and I know I'm hardly the only one. We have all sorts of Oscar-bait floating around, Slumdog Millionaire, Rachel At the Wedding, Reservation Road, Doubt... films to make you think, films you can go see and make you seem totally smart when you talk about them at work the next day.

Then I go to IMDB.com, and see a group of trailers for the most ridiculous sounding movies I have ever heard. Seriously- I watch a lot of stupid crap, but these sound so... SO dumb. I've included the synopses below... I want to believe that you can blame how mind-numbingly stupid these movies sound on the complexity of trying to explain a movie in a few sentences, but sadly, I don't think so.

I Love You, Man: Friendless Peter Klaven (Paul Rudd) goes on a series of man-dates to find a Best Man for his wedding. But when his insta-bond his new B.F.F.(Jason Segel) puts a strain on his relationship with his fiancée (Rashida Jones) can the trio learn to live happily ever after?

The Ugly Truth: A macho morning TV show correspondent (Gerard Butler) makes a bet with his romantically challenged producer (Katherine Heigl): If his tips on how to land and keep a guy don't work, he'll quit the business.

The Proposal: A pushy boss (Sandra Bullock) forces her young assistant (Ryan Reynolds) to marry her in order to keep her Visa status in the U.S. and avoid deportation to Canada.

No comments: