Saturday, February 7, 2009

Christian Bale Realizes He's Douche, Apologizes.


I would be remiss if I didn't (steal this from The Superficial) give a follow up on the Christian Bale rant. What kind of blogger would I be?

What is going on with celebrities and the admissions of wrongdoing lately? Michael Phelps, Christian Bale, Tom Daschle... are we a kinder, gentler nation, that accepts people's faults? Or is it that living in a media-saturated, 24/7 news-stream, a 'video recorder is on your cell phone so you're always being watched' world, people of merit realize that there's just no use in denying what will inevitably be recorded? (Take note, Republicans... this may be where you're going wrong.)

According to E! News, Christian Bale called into a KROQ morning radio show to apologize... and truly, in a humble way:

"The thing that I really want to stress is I have no confusion whatsoever. I was out of order beyond belief. I was way out of order. I acted like a punk. I regret that.
"There is nobody that has heard that tape that is hit harder by it than me. I make no excuses for it. It is inexcusable. I hope that that is absolutely clear."

As for an explanation of what happened:

"I put so much into what I do and care so much about it and sometimes the enthusiasm just goes awry.
"I'm embarrassed by it. I ask everybody to sit down and ask themselves, have they ever had a bad day and have they ever lost their temper and really regretted it immensely."
"Feel free to make fun of me at my expense; I deserve it completely."

Mock we will... however I will say in his defense that I've had a bad day. I also want to discuss what Bale calls "enthusiasm"... clearly anyone who goes from this:

to this for a movie role puts a lot of unhealthy effort into his craft. It makes me wonder what we ask of actors, and the mindset that these people have. Can someone that does this fully function without a role to play? Did I just go way deep over my obsession with Hollywood crazies?

No comments: